2 Comments

So if you using windows 10 and doing some web development you would probably have noticed that you can't browse localhost for some reason. And there is a couple of feedback items for it in the Windows Feedback app.

image

I'm currently trying to use Microsoft Edge for some screenshots of something (watch this space =D), and keep getting a message saying that the page is not available

image

I did a quick search to try find any solutions and couldn't find anything. So I turned to the tool that does magical things for me with the internet. I opened Fiddler =). Fiddler has a small feature that you can use when you want to debug network traffic for Windows Store apps. You can open that app by clicking on the WinConfig button in the main toolbar of Fiddler.

image

This will launch the AppContainer Loopback Exemption Utility.

image

Find and check the Microsoft Edge app in the list

image

and then click Save Changes

image

You will see at the bottom of the window a message specifying that the update was successful.

image

Now go back to Microsoft Edge and refresh the site that previously didn't load.

image

And you are now able to browse localhost sites using Microsoft Edge. After your site has loaded for the first time it's usually ok to close Fiddler and Edge will continue to work as it should do =D

1 Comments

For the last while I have been experiencing weird hangs with Visual Studio 2013. To try identify what was causing the hangs or at least where about the problem was I ran ProcMon.exe on devenv.exe and the point where Visual Studio hung I was getting the below output recursively

clip_image001

This was kind of weird because I'd never seen this before, I logged a Microsoft connect case through Visual Studio's Report a Bug Feature after installing the Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Feedback Tool which allows a more detailed collection of data for your bug.

image

After creating this bug I attached a ETL trace using PerfView, if you don't know how to use PerfView you can follow the tutorials on Channel 9 (PerfView Tutorial).

The ETL Trace showed a large amount of time spent on the Certificates which matched what I found with ProcMon.exe

image

At this point it was pointed out that I should look at how many certs were in my SystemCertificates (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates), I found that I had 2405 certs which was a lot more than usual

clip_image002

At this point we still didn't know what was causing so many certs to be generated. I decided to delete all the certs and see what happens. After a reboot everything was working 100% again Smile

Later I was playing with Fiddler and saw a weird error talking about certificates, I went to the certs folder and saw that there was more there. I deleted them again, went to a https site and saw certs been generated Smile, the reason for so many certs is because I had Decrypt HTTPS traffic option checked

clip_image002[5]

Changed this to not have it checked (because I didn't need it) and now I have a low amount of certs in my System Certificates folder again Smile.

Hope this helps someone else with this random issue Open-mouthed smile